Friday, January 23, 2009

Splitting hairs on Slumdog millionaire

Imagine! SM sullying the image of Brand India!! What could be more nonsensical than that!

Are the detractors of the movie trying ot state that the Brand India that we have was created in some obscure cinema set in Mumbai? If it was not created there, how can it be wrecked there?

Though I fully understand that imaging as a "brand enhancer" is a valid concept, it only works when the underlying product is good. Conversely, if India is a soaring country, no amount of bad mouthing (which SM indeed does not) will do it any worse!

And still, if there are people who are going to perceive India through the cinematic eyes of SM, I can only tell them to have a life. They dont mean anything either to me or to Brand India!

As an Indian, I have substantial stake in Brand India. But I also have the wisdom to understand and differentiate between cinematic excellence and economic fundamentals. And I care precisely three hoots for those who cant care about the difference!

No comments: